Off-Campus Courses

If you are considering taking any course off-campus, please read the following carefully:
● Students must be enrolled at a high school while attending an off campus class to receive credit on a San Dieguito Union High School District (SDUHSD) transcript. No student may begin to acquire high school credits until after the completion of 8th grade. Middle School students may not place off campus classes on the SDUHSD transcript. (Board Policy 6200.1/AR-1)
● No more than 30 credits from college courses, private instruction, or public school courses may be transferred onto the high school transcript.
● SDUHSD will not accept the following online coursework for credit; online visual and performing art courses, online physical education courses, or online lab science courses.
● The course must be taken at an institution that is WASC or otherwise regionally accredited and offers coursework leading to a high school diploma. Courses taken through providers that are WASC-accredited as Supplementary Ed will not be accepted for credit. We cannot recommend any specific program and it is SDUHSD policy not to proctor outside exams.
● The student shall receive the same letter grade for the high school credit as is granted by the college, public or private institution.
● A single (3 unit) college course is equal to a 5 credit high school course. College courses and private or public school honors courses do not receive weighted credit on SDUHSD transcripts with the exception of Pre-Calculus Honors and College Board Advanced Placement (AP) courses. AP courses must be on the outside school’s AP Course Audit Ledger for the year taken in order to be placed on the transcript.
● Off campus math courses may not be used to accelerate from college prep to SDUHSD honors level math courses unless they are taken in combination with a SDUHSD Bridge course (see current counselor for bridge information).
● Courses in language other than English will be awarded elective credit on the SDUHSD transcript only if the school is on the SDUHSD-approved list of language programs for the current school year. To receive college preparatory elective credit, the language school must be WASC-accredited and/or be UC approved.
● Once off campus credits are placed on a transcript, they may not be removed. SDUHSD shall post coursework to the transcript and grant credit toward high school graduation for coursework successfully completed at a community college, state college, public or private institution only if all of the following steps are completed:
❏ This Off Campus Course Permission Request Form must be signed by the parent/guardian/educational rights holder, and counselor and submitted to the registrar prior to a student enrolling in the off campus course.
❏ A course description and evidence of school accreditation and/or UC/CSU approval must be attached to this form.
❏ Upon course completion, student must submit an official transcript that includes the grade issued and credits earned.

This Off Campus Course Permission Request Form must be signed by the parent/guardian/student, and counselor and submitted prior to a student enrolling in the off campus course.
Community College Forms 
To enroll in a community college course, K-12 students also need a specific form for students who are minors.  Click on the links below to locate these concurrent enrollment forms.  For Mira Costa or Palomar you need to have your COUNSELOR sign your permit as the designee (Principal signature is not required). 
Community College Links