- Key Info
- Student Handbook/Discipline Policy/Agenda
- Bell Schedule & School Calendar
- Off Campus Policies
- 2022-2023 School Business Days
- Start Smart
- Communications Accommodations
- Dress Guidelines
- Student Technology Plan
- Parking Permit
- Employee Concern Resolution Procedures
- Nutrition Services
- WASC Accreditation
- Title IX
- Back to School Night 22-23
- Learning Commons
La Costa Canyon Attendance Policy
Attendance Office email: email@example.com
Attendance Office Message Line: 760-436-6136 ext. 6008 (available 24/7)
Office Hours: 7:00am – 3:00pm
All absences and tardies must be reported by the student’s parent or legal guardian within 48 hours or two school days. The student can bring a note from the parent or the parent can email or call the Attendance Office Message Line at ext. 6008 and leave a message. To leave a message in Spanish, dial ext. 6010.
Absences and Tardy Procedures
To report or clear an absence or tardy for your student, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Attendance Office Message Line at 760-436-6136 ext. 6008 and press 1. Parent’s written, signed notes are also accepted. Please state your student’s full name and the spelling of the last name, student ID number, the date and time of their absence and the specific reason for the absence. If no reason is stated, the absence will be unexcused.
- Absences and tardies must be reported or cleared within 48 hours either by email, note or phone message, otherwise it is considered a truancy.
- If your student was marked absent by mistake, have your student contact their teacher to email the Attendance with the correction. Your student is responsible for clearing these absences. Do not leave a message for this reason.
- Arriving more than 30 minutes late without an email, note or phone call excusing the tardy is considered a truancy.
- Students, who arrive late to school, must sign in at the Attendance Office upon arrival so the correct codes are entered into the computer attendance system.
- Students who fail to sign in at Attendance may be marked truant for the entire period
- Unverified absences result in a student being marked truant from school, and could result in a possible loss of the opportunity to make up missed work or tests and/or a referral to the SART/SARB process.
- EXCUSED ABSENCES are illness, medical appointment, observance of religious holidays, bereavement, and court appearance per the California Educational Code.
- UNEXCUSED ABSENCES include vacation, college visits, over-sleeping, car trouble, DMV appointment, out of town visitors, weddings, missed the bus, personal/business reasons, out of gas, traffic and traffic citations.
- Students returning from extended absences due to ILLNESS or INJURY will be required to submit documentation according to the District’s Health Office Guidelines. • Medical documentation is required for any absence due to illness that extends 5 consecutive school days or more; documentation must be provided before the absence will be cleared.
Off Campus Pass Procedures
All students must have an Off Campus Pass (obtained from the Attendance Office) to leave campus during school hours; this includes not returning to campus after lunch. Students who leave campus without an Off Campus Pass in hand will be marked truant, even if their parent has given them verbal permission to leave.
Off-Campus Passes can be requested via email, written, signed note, or by calling the Attendance Office Message Line 24 hours in advance at
760-436-6136 ext. 6008 and press 2
- Include the student’s full name, ID number, the date and time of the pass, whether or not the student will be returning to school, and the specific reason for the pass.
- You must give a specific release time. Do not use period numbers or “lunch”. With our new schedule, the class and break times are different each day.
- Students may bring a written note to the Attendance Office before school, at break or at lunch to obtain their Off-Campus Pass.
- Passes will not be delivered to the classroom. It is the student’s responsibility to pick up the pass before school, during break, or lunch. Passes will not be handed out during class time.
- Students must show their Off Campus Pass to the teacher before being released from class.
If a student becomes ill or is injured at school, the student should ask their teacher for a pass to the Health Office. All students are released through the Health Office, not the Attendance Office. When they arrive at the Health Office, the Health Tech will contact their parent to either pick up the student or give permission for the student to drive home.
- All students leaving campus early must check out with either the Attendance Office or the Health Office or they will be marked truant.
- Students cannot be excused after leaving early without a pass in hand.
- Parents will receive an automated telephone call and email if their student was marked absent or tardy in one or more class.